Parents
Lucy’s embracing opportunities

Congratulations to 2019 Year 11 student Lucy Bourchier who recently earned herself a trip to Canberra through the Country to Canberra competition which is open to young rural women. Lucy wrote a piece about gender inequality in Australia and was one of 15 students who travelled to Canberra where they met a number of female MP’s including Jacqui Lambie, Tanya Pilbeck and Zali Steggall. Lucy and her fellow winners are pictured above with Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

The following is Lucy’s bio posted on the Country to Canberra website:

How old are you, what grade are you in and what community/town do you live in?
I am seventeen years old and I am in year 11. I live in Koonoomoo, Victoria.

Why did you enter Country to Canberra’s Leadership Competition?
As someone who is passionate about female empowerment and strong female representation in politics, Country to Canberra sounded like an ideal way to learn about and meet a variety of inspiring and influential women.

What do you hope to get out of the Power Trip to Canberra?
I am interested in the process of politics and how decisions are made, and want to develop my own leadership skills to take on more of a role in this process.

Who is your role model and why?
I have many role models, including Jacinda Ardern, Julie Bishop and Annabel Crabb, who are all inspiring women and have achieved amazing things, but I also look up to the women I interact with every day in my local community, who don’t have a spotlight but work hard every single day.

What’s your favourite thing about living in rural Australia?
Being part of such a tight-knit community, as well as seeing the way that the community comes together to support those who need help, which has become increasingly clear in the last few years with the advent of the drought.

What’s your favourite quote?
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

What’s your main goal or ambition (right now, or in the future)?
My main goal at the moment is to complete my VCE, but after this I aim to pursue a career in economics or finance. Outside of school or work, I want to develop my community involvement as well as travel.

Tell us a couple of things you do to relax or have fun?
I love to read and play the flute and ukulele, as well as playing netball, and love spending time with friends and family

You can check out her winning entry here and her bio below.

Further information about the Country to Canberra programme and details of Lucy’s experience can be found on their website here